uUSB-PA5 / uUSB-PA5-II
The microUSB Programming Adaptor (uUSB-PA5 and uUSB-PA5-II) is a USB to Serial-TTL UART bridge converter which is simple, cost effective, very small and easy to use.
It uses a mini-B type USB connector to connect to your PC. The uUSB-PA5 is based on the FTDI FT232RQ USB to Serial Bridge IC from FTDI Chip, while the uUSB-PA5-II is based on the SiLabs CP2104 USB to UART Bridge IC from Silicon Labs.
It provides the user with multi baud rate serial data up to 3M baud rate, and access to additional signals such as flow control in a convenient 10 pin 2.54mm (0.1") pitch Dual-In-Line package.
The main 5 pin interface is a standard 2.54mm (0.1") pitch female header, designed to connect directly to a majority of the 4D Systems modules.
The uUSB-PA5 and uUSB-PA5-II are ideal for prototype or production.
RX and TX signals are both 3.3V and 5V tolerant.
While a large range of 4D Systems modules are compatible with this programming adaptor, some are not, for mechanical reasons.
The following is a small list of current modules that cannot be connected directly with the uUSB-PA5/PA5-II for mechanical reasons. In order to use these products with the uUSB-PA5/PA5-II, you must use the 5 way cable and M-M adaptor which ships with each module in order to connect the uUSB-PA5/PA5-II to these products.
Alternatively, the 4D Programming cable can be used instead.
NOTE: The uUSB-PA5/PA5-II requires a standard USB mini cable which is not included.
The uUSB-PA5-II is now the currently shipping module, as the uUSB-PA5 has been superseeded and is no longer being produced. Both however operate in the same way and are interchangable - just different drivers are required - see Download section below.
Information about the adaptor
- USB 2.0 compliant Full Speed 12Mbps maximum speed, Suspend supported.
- Hardware or Xon/Xoff handshaking supported, 300bps to 3Mbps (uUSB-PA5), 300bps to 2Mbps (uUSB-PA5-II).
- UART supports 7 or 8 data bits, 1-2 Stop bits, odd/even/mark/space and no parity (uUSB-PA5)
- UART supports 5, 6, 7, or 8 data bits, 1, 1.5 or 2 stop bits, odd/even/mark/space and no parity (uUSB-PA5-II)
- Power on reset circuit
- Virtual COM port drivers allow operation with existing COM port PC applications
- Supports Windows 2000 and above, MAC (OSX-8 and above) and Linux (2.4 kernel and above)
- USB powered
- -40 to +85 degrees Celsius temp range
- Small size, 33.7mm x 17.3mm
- Traffic/Operation LED indicates board status
- Additional flow control and features available for the user to solder, using standard 2.54mm (0.1") pitch through holes along each side of the PCB.
- RoHS Compliant
How to determine which COM port is allocated to the uUSB-PA5 / uUSB-PA5-II:
- Go to Control panel and double click on the "System" Icon and the "System Properties" window will open up.
- Click on the "Hardware" window tab and then the "Device Manager" button.
- Go down the list and expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" devices.
- There you will see the COM port that has been allocated for the μUSB-PA5/PA5-II.
- Take note of the COM port number (e.g. COM4) as you will need this when configuring the COM port for applications that need to communicate with the μUSB-PA5/PA5-II such as the 4D-Workshop IDE.
Only uUSB-PA5-II Now Shipping
The uUSB-PA5 has been superseeded by the uUSB-PA5-II. The uUSB-PA5-II is now shipping.
The uUSB-PA5 and uUSB-PA5-II are virtually identical in terms of operation, and from the perspective of programming 4D Systems modules, they are the same - be sure to download the appropriate driver, located below in the Downloads section.